Saturday 4 June 2016

Character profile: Spencer

Hi everyone! I've got another post for you about yes, What Not To Do When Wearing Purple Lipstick. I swear I should've renamed my blog to that, it seems to be the only thing I'm talking about at the mo. I will be doing more lifestyle posts, I promise! I'm actually in the process of re organizing my bookcase and I definitely will be doing a MAJOR post on that soon. Anyways, I digress. Let's start chatting about Spencer!

So her name? Well, it definitely doesn't have as much meaning behind it as Trisha's name did (sorry Spence :D) but I'm still obsessed with it, don't get me wrong! I don't even KNOW why I chose the name Spencer... It just sounded right. Her full name is Spencer Kelm (middle name undecided. Any ideas? :/).

Spence is pretty mainstream - she listens to the same music as everyone else, wears the same clothes as everyone, and she picks the same extracurricular subjects as her best friend. I think within Spencer I'm trying to create that so common but yet untalked about feeling - the one where you can't really dispense your own thoughts from everyone else's, so just decide to follow the crowd and do what everyone else is doing.

Her looks? I'm going for the stereotypical popular girl look - perfect hair, curves, and face. I think it's actually quite interesting, that I've never seen a popular girl in movies or books or even in real life that is shoved in the 'ugly' zone, that doesn't have the perfect looks that people lust after.

Hobbies? Spencer, as afore mentioned, tends to just do what her best friend Beatrice (aka Bea) is doing, but has a massive passion for drama and musicals. I actually am planning for her to be in a particular musical later in the book - all I can say is Acqua and Rosie will love the choice!

I think in this novel what I'm trying to do is create the stereotypical 'bitch' (aka Spencer), take the stereotypical 'nerd' (Trisha) and strip down to the core what it means to be a teenage girl - but also seeing what the people you hate the most without even talking to them actually are on the inside.

Whoop! I hope you're a little more knowledgeable on Spencer now! And I actually have a pretty big announcement to make as well. I'm wondering if any of you want to be beta readers for me? Basically I'd send you chapters and you'd give me honest feedback about it. I'm pretty sure all of you will be way too busy for it, but if you're interested shoot me an email! Anyway, bye for now, and I'll see you again soon!

El xx

6 comments:

  1. this is amazing, I love it! Spencer sounds so interesting! I'd be more than happy to give you some feedback, sounds fun! Maybe email me if you'd like me to?xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the image I have of Spencer is so vivid now. I can't tell if I love her or hate her haha :) If you'd like to email me I'd be happy to help you out xx

    P.S. As for a middle name, how about something like Ebony,Tuesday or Fay?
    http://pinksmartiesblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. AAAAAAAAH YEEEEEEES LES MIIIIIIIIIIIIS (sorry, I just malfunction whenever I see a reference to it) Spencer sounds amazing! Can I please be a beta reader? It would be such an honour!

    onmywayacqua.blogspot.com | Acqua xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this so much! And yesssss Les Miserablesssssssssssss so exciting!! I'm so happy for you to be able to email me the story, it's so fab xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I can really imagine Spencer now! I can't wait to hear more about your story and your bookcase ❤️❤️❤️
    I'm literally jumping in excitement and smiling!
    Laila
    www.lailabee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so lovely to be able to follow the making of What Not To Do Wearing Purple Lipstick. Like other people have commented, I can picture Spencer crystal clear in my head!


    Mind checking out my latest - it's all about my recent adventures in Poland!

    Alice x
    girlabroadblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete